Tips For Cooking
1. When cooking Chinese food at
home, the secret lies in using / purchasing absolutely fresh vegetables
and finely slicing them for use.
2. While using vegetables in Chinese cooking remember, French
beans are almost always cut diagonally; onions chopped or sliced fine
and ginger and garlic crushed. Cabbage, spinach and lettuce are
shredded into fairly large pieces unless specified in a particular
3. Make sure that the meat, fish and poultry are always finely
sliced besides being fresh and tender.
4. Most recipes specify which oil to use, but Gingelly oil may
be used where no specific instructions have been given.
5. The use of corn flour in many Chinese dishes helps in three
It gives meat a light coating which not only makes the coating
tender but retains the flavor.
The thickness of the gravy or soup depends on the amount of
cornflour used; these vary in different dishes, as a sweet and
sour meat dish should be fairly thick and tomato hot and sour soup
should be thinner.
Corn flour holds minced meat together and also keeps the moisture
in It is used in meat ball dishes.